Monday, April 03, 2006

The Lesson of Carolyn McDaniel (or, "How to Succeed in Campaigning without using Spell-Check")

When I first heard about the three candidates vying for Fort Bend County Attorney, I must admit that I knew very little about them and even going into the primary had no clue for whom to vote. So, I voted anyway -- knowing there would be a runoff and I could better sort through the remaining candidates then.

Well, here we are coming up on the runoff election and although I can't say for certain that I will be voting for Roy L. Cordes, Jr., I do know that I will not be voting for Carolyn McDaniel. Here's why...

When I saw her pushcard at the SD18 convention, I noticed some glaring misspellings. Not "typos" -- manifestly obvious misspellings. Despite the overwhelmingly unprofessional pushcard, I was willing to consider chalking it up to trying to put something together in a hurry to have something to pass out at the SD conventions.

Then, just yesterday, there they were again in an ad in a "Fort Bend County Conservative Voters Guide": gems like "ACCELLERATION", "ACCESSABILITY" and "TRANSPARANCY".

Surely that was just an oversight, right? They took the pushcard material and put it into the ad without checking, but otherwise she knows how to spell, right?!?

WRONG! (As good 'ol John McLaughlin would say...)

Direct from her campaign website are these examples of "creative spelling" and "grammatical license"...

"Both myself and my opponent..." "...fast and efficeint..." "intutive" "avaliable" "buinesses" "implimented" "goverment" "handeling" "forfiture" "forfitures"

She also tells us that, "As your County Attorney, I will effectively and efficently run the department so as to save the tax payers money." (emphasis mine)

Well, she will certainly "efficently" (or is it "efficeintly"?) save time and money by not using that superfluous "Spell Check" feature on important FBC legal documents!

I'm sorry if this comes off as nit-picking or trite, but can a genuinely intelligent and serious candidate (for County Attorney, no less) continuously put out campaign materials that are this grossly larded with errors?

The Umpire's call? Ms. McDaniel, yer out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home