Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I'm Sure It's Just a Coincidence...

Prompted by Chris Elam's semi-cryptic post here regarding (most likely) the FBC GOP Chairman's race and Mayor Wallace's (first - private, now - public) endorsement, I made a few comments:

Unfortunately, in politics, whether a post-DeLay, pre-DeLay, or-whatever-DeLay world we find ourselves in, friendships and relationships are not so much “bonds” but “relationships of convenience” borne out of temporary alliances based on transitory needs.

As I've said here and on my blog on this issue (Wallace's 'endorsement' of Gillen), Mayor Wallace was a man with “the cowardice of his convictions.” Perhaps he has finally stepped forward in that regard, emboldened by his recent elevation within the Party. Sorry, Chris, but as you know by now in politics, “If you want a friend, buy a dog.”


I then reviewed my previous post on this issue and saw where I made this suggestion (among others):
2. Have a phone conversation with Mayor Wallace and (quietly, nicely, and privately) ask him to either publicly come forward with his endorsement or just shut up about it and stop the back-channel endorsement effort. It’s not really much of an endorsement if one isn’t willing to go public with it, is it?

Now, in campaign mailers and advertisements, Mr. Gillen is indeed touting his endorsement from Mayor Wallace. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with my advice, but I'm still glad Mr. Gillen / Mayor Wallace took it!

Now, Mr. Gillen, about my suggestions #1 and #3.... it's never too late to make wrong things right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home